Yowza! is the place for high-quality animation – that means drawing!
Our staff and crew are extraordinarily talented, smart, strong, wise, and supportive people
who will share their knowledge and are happy to learn from you.
The Design Supervisor role will be responsible for maintaining the creative look, style and design of a 2D show in alignment with the vision of the Executive Producer(s), Producers, Directors and Art Director.
Must be familiar with the 2D animation pipeline and experienced in the creation of design production artwork. All roles must adhere to company policies as outlined in Yowza! Animation Employee Guidelines.
Start Date: August 2022
Est. End date: TBD
Term of Employment: Full-Time, Remote
Salary: Based on Experience, benefits possible
The artist will be tasked with managing a team of designers to ensure the consistency of the look of the show while meeting the needs of the production schedule. Tracking and assigning and or completing an assigned weekly quota while adhering to the directives & style of the project.
- DS to review all scripts and storyboards in detail and plan the visual elements required, while presenting solutions to maximize and work within our resources for asset production for each episode
- Responsible for reviewing and giving feedback on all designs, including orthographic turnarounds for quality and accuracy for all characters, transit, backgrounds and props
- Responsible for working with the Design Team and Executive Producers to ensure model packs are delivered to the 2D team(s) complete with all elements required for asset production
- Has an understanding of the 2D asset production pipeline and can anticipate the 2D team(s) needs as well as confidently answer creative and technical questions about designs are completed and asset production has commenced Is able to direct and give feedback to the design team
- Following the creative direction set forth by Producing and Directorial teams in managing the design process including tracking the status of assignments, answering questions and working with Production Staff to ensure that all deadlines are met
- Assists the Art Director in casting work appropriately to Design Team
- Responsible for working with Production Staff and Directors to research and pull reference in preparation for artist launches
- Ability to provide clear directives or specific design needs to both artists and Production Staff ensuring an efficient workflow
- Provide designs (launch materials, roughs, redraws etc.) as needed to ensure that designs meet the quality requirements and deadlines
- As needed, generate and/or provide retake materials, promotional materials, CP materials, assets for special projects, etc.
- Provide status updates, troubleshoot, and review potential changes on a regular basis with Production Staff Participate in the talent acquisition process with the Line Producer and Art Director to review portfolios and tests, interview candidates, and provide detailed feedback Mentor and support the Design Team
- Manage day-to-day staff planning issues, such as hiring, review, firing, overtime and vacation requests
Reports to – Executive Producer, Studio Line Producer, Line Producer, Art Director, Director
Direct Reports – Designers
- 5+ years of production experience
- Strong understanding of composition and storytelling, strong drawing skills, communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- High proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Harmony
- Ability to review and give feedback on all designs, including orthographic turnarounds for quality and accuracy for all characters, transit, backgrounds and props
- Ability to collaboratively work with the Design Team and Production Staff to manage and track assignment status, answer team questions and help ensure that all deadlines are met
- Strong understanding of the 2D asset production pipeline
- Must ensure model packs are delivered to the 2D teams complete with all elements required for asset production
- Clear communication to provide specific directives to both artists and Production Staff ensuring an efficient workflow and high standard of artistic excellence
Applicants MUST be a resident of the PROVINCE OF ONTARIO and MUST have filed taxes with Ontario listed as their primary residence.
No walk-ins or phone calls please. Only those being considered will be contacted for interview.
Thank you in advance for your interest. We hope to hear from you soon!